Bethlehem Steel FC tied 2-2 with Rochester Rhinos Saturday night earning one point on the road. Ryan Richter and Mickey Daly scored for Steel FC, but Joe Farrell's brace for the Rhinos denied three points for the visitors.
Rochester took the lead in the 13th minute when Joe Farrell scored from Jordan Becker’s free kick. Becker sent the ball to the edge of the six-yard box, and Farrell one timed it into the back of the net.
Ryan Richter equalized the score in the 24th minute after Gabe Gissie was taken down in the box. Steel FC’s captain sent the ball hard and low into the left corner of the goal scoring his second penalty for Steel FC this season.
Steel FC took the lead in the 58th minute of the second half when Mickey Daly scored his first goal of the season heading in James Chambers’ cross.
For the remainder of the half, Steel FC looked to defend their lead. In the second minute of stoppage time, Rochester almost equalized the game for the Rhinos, but academy product Auston Trusty saved the ball off of the line to keep Steel FC in the lead.
In the fourth minute of stoppage time, however, Farrell scored his second goal for Rochester Rhinos to equalize the game and earn both teams one point. With the result, Steel FC have a record of 3-3-4 this season and have not won on the road since their inaugural game against FC Montreal on March 25.
Rochester are now unbeaten in 24 games at home dating back to 2015’s post season.
Steel FC return to Goodman Stadium on Sunday, June 5 when they face New York Red Bulls II at 4 p.m. Single game and group tickets are available by visiting bethlehemsteelfc.com or by calling 844-STEELFC.
Rochester Rhinos 2, Bethlehem Steel FC 2
Shots: 5-7 (Steel FC)
Corners: 2-3 (Steel FC)
Saves: 1-2 (Steel FC)
ROC — Joe Farrell 13’
BSFC— Ryan Richter (Penalty) 24’
BSFC— Mickey Daly (James Chambers) 58’
ROC — Joe Farrell 90+4
BSFC — James Chambers (Yellow) 27’
ROC — Christian Volesky (Yellow) 69’
ROC — Joe Farrell (Yellow) 85'
BSFC — Fred (Yellow) 90’
BETHLEHEM STEEL FC STARTING XI
Samir Badr; Ryan Richter (C), Mickey Daly, Auston Trusty, Matt Real (Nick Bibbs 83’); Bolu Akinyode, Derrick Jones; Jamie Luchini (Josh Heard 75’), James Chambers, Gabe Gissie (Fred 90’); Seku Conneh (Cory Burke 72’)
Substitutes not used: Andrew Verdi, Mark McKenzie, Raheem Taylor Parkes
ROCHESTER RHINOS STARTING XI
Adam Grinwis, Vasileios Apostolopoulos, Joseph Farrell, Jordan Becker (Bradley Kamdem 62’), Marcos Ugarte (Dominic Samuel 72’), Sean Totsch (Dom Samuels 62’), Ryan Lee James (Michel Guilavogui 72’), Michael Garzi, Steevan Dos Santos, Kenardo Forbes, Sofiane Tergou (Christian Volesky 59’)
Brandon Artis (Center), Sean Regan (Assistant), Georgios Zervos (Assistant), Shawn Cummings (Fourth)
· Mickey Daly scored his first goal for Bethlehem Steel FC heading in James Chambers’ cross
· Ryan Richter scored his second goal for Steel FC this season. Both of the captain’s goals have resulted from penalty kicks. He first found the back on the net on May 15 against FC Montreal.
· Samir Badr made his first start and appearance with Bethlehem Steel FC after a successful preseason with the team.
· Player and assistant coach Fred made his second appearance for Steel FC replacing Gabe Gissie in the 90th minute. Fred made his first appearance in the May 15 game against FC Montreal.
· Nick Bibbs made his first appearance for Bethlehem Steel FC replacing Matt Real in the 83rd minute.
· Philadelphia Union Academy product Auston Trusty made his sixth start this season for Steel FC while fellow academy product Matt Real made his first.
· James Chambers received his sixth yellow card of the season. If the midfielder receives another yellow card he will serve a one game suspension for yellow card accumulation.
· Bethlehem Steel FC now have a record of 3-3-4 in their inaugural 2016 season and a 1-2-2 record away from home.
· Steel FC return to Goodman Stadium on Sunday, June 5 to face New York Red Bulls II at 4 p.m.